Why have always been we more vulnerable to getting HIV or an intimately Transmitted Infection (STI)?
It’s important to just simply take precautionary measures in order to avoid getting HIV or other STIs during intercourse given that danger is greater for males that have intercourse with guys than for other folks. It is because the liner for the rectum is much more delicate than the liner of a vagina which is consequently more at an increased risk to become damaged.
Insertive anal intercourse (topping) is usually an inferior danger for HIV than receptive rectal intercourse (bottoming), but both topping and bottoming during unprotected (condomless) rectal intercourse is known as risky.
Guys that have intercourse with men made 45% of brand new HIV diagnoses in 2017 in britain. Within Solent Sexual Health males who’ve intercourse with men made 48% of all of the brand brand brand new HIV diagnoses in 2018.
There are also increases when you look at the true amount of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea diagnoses in Hampshire. Both these are handed down by condomless sex also rectal intercourse.
With PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) being more readily available, some individuals could be placing by themselves at greater danger of getting an STI as PrEP only protects against HIV transmission.
Lowering your threat of catching an STI or HIV
The easiest way to safeguard your self if you are likely to have dental or anal intercourse is work with a condom each and every time. Even though they aren’t 100% assured, whenever utilized correctly condoms are incredibly effective. Top strategies for making use of condoms.
Condoms can be found in different sizes and varieties, consequently when you haven’t quite discovered the fit that is right feel, try utilizing alternative sizes, brands and types to see just what is best suited for you. If you’re responsive to latex, take to making use of latex free condoms. Condoms can be found free via our Condoms by Post solution.
You may want to lower your danger by:
- Utilizing lubrication. We advice water based lube, nevertheless this will be dry or gluey helping to make condom splitting much more likely. Keep refreshing it with an increase of lube or several falls of water while having sex. Spit can spread some STIs, therefore avoid saliva that is using.
- Reducing the true amount of intimate lovers you’ve got
- Getting tested for STIs before sex with some body brand new and advising that in addition they have tested. Then 3 monthly STI testing is recommended if you are having frequent changes in sexual partners.
- Reducing other activities that could impact your choices, such has eating alcohol that is too much taking medications.
- Getting immunised (vaccinated) against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis an and some kinds of HPV.
If you utilize drugs included in the intercourse you might be having (Chemsex), it is vital that you be informed regarding the dangers included and just how to relax and play because properly as you can. Some kinds of Chems pose a greater danger for your requirements simply because they may cause long term health conditions such as for instance despair, fat loss and mental dependence. To learn more about playing properly, click the link.
That you have been exposed to HIV click here if you are worried.
Professional solutions we are able to provide for your requirements
- Hepatitis a for males
- Hepatitis B for guys
- Individual Papillomavirus (HPV) for males aged between 15 and 45
MSM clinic (Hospital Xtra):
Clinic Xtra provides services that are tailored males that have intercourse with males including:
- Post visibility prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- Advice and help for pre publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
- Referrals for support around ChemSex and substance risk and misuse decrease
- STI screening and therapy
Hospital Xtra intimate wellness clinics can be obtained at:
- St Marys Hospital, Portsmouth: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Royal South Hants Hospital, Southampton: 5:00 – 7:00pm thursday
- Crown Heights, Basingstoke: Monday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Andover Health Centre: Friday 10:30am – 12:00pm
Do you want assist to lower your risk?
You can arrange to see one of our health promotion practitioners if you would like to find out about support available or further advice. Please contact 0300 300 2016 and inquire to talk to the Sexual Health Promotion Team or e-mail snhs. Sexualhealthpromotion@nhs.net.
Are you subjected to HIV?
If you’re concerned it’s likely you have been subjected to HIV (had unsafe sex with some body whoever HIV status that you do not know, or understand to stay positive and never on completely suppressed (undetectable) on therapy, or shared injecting equipment), perhaps you are entitled to Post-exposure Prophylaxis.
Effective HIV treatment (ART) lets people lead healthier active everyday lives and additionally protects their lovers. Whenever viral load is invisible on ART, HIV is not any longer sexually transmitted – with or without condoms. The ev
Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP or PEPSE) is medicine you’ll simply just take in lowering the possibility of HIV transmission. It really is 30 days course this is certainly very long of that is taken after non-safe sex where there is an increased danger of publicity. PEP or PEPSE http://www.spotloans247.com/payday-loans-ia should be studied right as feasible after intercourse, and undoubtedly within 72 hours. The sooner it really is started the much more likely it’s working. It is important to have an evaluation with a medical practitioner or nursing assistant just before are recommended this medicine. It’s important you have started it that you complete the course once.
That you have been exposed to HIV you should attend one of our clinics, or an Accident and Emergency department straight away if you are worried.